What is SyBIT
The SystemsX.ch Biology IT Project SyBIT is the only SystemsX.ch Initiated Project SIP. It has been created by the SystemsX.ch Executive Board to address the Computing and IT needs of the SystemsX.ch RTDs.
- Support SystemsX.ch scientists in their data-rich biology workflows: from data production and validation to data analysis and publication
- Provide tools and standards to the SystemsX.ch community:
- to enable end-to-end integration of the digital workflows
- to facilitate reproducibility of workflows through automated provenance information and metadata
- to guarantee reusability, modularity, openness and visibility of programs developed by the community for the community
- to facilitate communication and collaboration
- Actively promote information and knowledge exchange within SystemsX.ch by supporting existing technology-oriented communities or creating new ones where necessary
- Educate the scientists and bioinformaticials as well as supporting personnel in the usage of the tools and standards provided
- Help in the usage of the available IT infrastructure for data and computing, assist in the coordination and planning thereof
Management Board and SEB
The SyBIT Management Board is elected by the SystemsX.ch Executive Board. There are currently 3 members in the management board (see below).
Coordination Team and Project Manager
As the name suggests, the Coordination Team is responsible for the coordination of SyBIT. It is led by the SyBIT Project Manager. It reports to the Management Board and is constituted by delegates of the participating SyBIT partner institutes. Projects are approved and monitored by the Coordination Team.
Partner Institutions and SystemsX.ch RTDs.
The SyBIT partner institutions are tightly collaborating with SyBIT and participate in all major decisions concerning strategy and planning of the project. SyBIT is funding people at most of these institutions or is ready to invest into joint projects. The SyBIT projects are always very closely tied to the SystemsX.ch Research, Technology and Development (RTD) project's needs.
The SyBIT projects are initiated directly by the RTDs or the Communities. Internal SyBIT projects are also possible when clear needs are identified. For each SyBIT project members of SyBIT and members of the RTDs or Communities will closely cooperate and work together on the project's goals. Optimally, the projects are led by the RTDs to assure that the project results are relevant and are put to immediate use.
The SyBIT partner institutions are already experts in technology and platform provisioning and support. In order to generate economies of scale and foster information exchange, SyBIT will attach itself to existing interest groups or create new ones involving the relevant partners for each pipeline. The teams discuss standards, common best practice and strategic joint developments. SyBIT projects can also be initiated by the pipeline teams. One special pipeline team is the computing infrastructure team, with representatives of the computing and storage resource providers of all participating institutions.
- SyBIT Manager: Peter Kunszt
- SyBIT Coordination Team members:
- Administrative Support: Vanessa Deppeler - Head Office SystemsX.ch
- SyBIT Team:
- Basel, at CISD (ETHZ): Angela Bauch, Franz-Josef Elmer, Chandrasekhar Ramakrishnan, Piotr Kupczyk, Caterina Barillari
- Basel, at Biozentrum (UniBas): Eva Pujadas, Vincent Rouilly, Pauli Rämö
- Basel, at the FMI: Anita Lerch, Thibaut Siegmann
- Lausanne, at VitalIT (SIB): Arnaud Fortier, Olivier Martin, Robin Liechti
- Lausanne, at BBCF (EPFL): Yohan Jarosz,
- Zurich, at IMSB (ETHZ): Emanuel Schmid, Adam Srebniak, Béla Hullar, Lorenz Blum, Witold Wolski
- Zurich, at FGCZ (UniZH and ETHZ): Jonas Grossmann, Christian Panse